Well my sister KK is definitely the party thrower, a better one than Dr. Caroll? Haha
On Tuesday night I went with New Scot to The Fiddler's Hearth, an "Irish" pub, right next to The Oyster Bar, where we had gone a couple of nights before. The Fiddler's Hearth is a nice place, plenty of light (not like Burp Castle), not so many Irish people though the night we went there. Too bad! I heard there is live Irish music on Thursday night--perhaps the New Scot is going there again tonight. I, on the other hand, have come back to Boston, and am stuck in a hot room.
The New Scot was having a conversation with another patron of the pub, when the topic of religion came up. Evidently the patron is an Unitarian and believes that it suffices for one to be morally good (i.e. treat others justly and well) in order to be fulfilled or perhaps even 'saved.' While it is easier for us to come to know what the demands of justice are, how we should act with respect to ourselves is not as easy, and relatively unimportant for liberals, progressives, and others. What difference does it make if I am unchaste, so long as "I treat others well"?
The other problem, of course, is how God figures into all of this, and for this guy, He wasn't a part of the picture at all. Culpable ignorance, or not? Hard to say... perhaps it is possible for someone to proclaim the importance of behaving well towards others without pride sneaking in. Then again, is God really so silent in their lives?
website
Oh, here's the Trinity website.
No comments:
Post a Comment