The other night I was chatting with melkimx about dancing, and the topic of English country dance came up. She prefers it to ballroom dancing--the movements, the music, and so on. I too think it is better than ballroom dancing, including contemporary Latin dancing. Plyn likes ECD as well, if we could find some more people maybe we could throw a ball. haha Too much Austen for all of us.
She mentioned that there was a group "there" that did English country dance. I wonder if this is it, the Ann Arbor Council for Traditional Music and Dance. I don't think I asked her if she ever dropped by, I should remember to ask her.
Listings for the state of Michigan
Country Dancing in Kalamazoo
ECD around the United States
About English country dance
What is English Country Dancing
Country Dance and Song Society
English Country Dance Terms with Sound and Animation
Elements of ECD
ECD from Pride and Prejudice
Estienne's Country Dance Book
On the Virginia Reel:
(which never caught on at Christendom, well not to the extent I would have liked)
Virginia Reel
Instructions
another page
Contra dances
(at Cambridge Folk Homepage)
A video of the Virginia Reel at Costume College, 2006:
No comments:
Post a Comment