Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Upcoming TV season

Yahoo TV Fall Preview
What am I looking forward to this season?

Many of the shows are on CBS, surprisingly; for a long time I considered CBS to be the worst of the three major networks, but since it has The Unit and NCIS, and this Fall, Smith, Shark, and Jericho, my opinion is slowly changing. Of course most of its shows are PC to one degree or another (with the exception, perhaps of The Unit) and its comedies are not family-friendly, but that's true of all of the networks.

There is nothing new on NBC I want to watch, though maybe I'll catch the season premiere of Las Vegas and see if Ed Deline is really dead. (Probably not.) Aaron Sorkin is too Hollywood and librool for my tastes, so no Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip for me. Kidnapped is like a 24 ripoff, and it does have Timothy Hutton as the father of the kidnapped child. He hires Knapp, someone who deals with K&R, and seems willing to do whatever it takes to get the victim back? (Sorta like Jack Bauer?) I guess I take back what I said earlier--I may turn Kidnapped on for a couple of episodes. But Heroes looks like garbage and will go the way of Surface--it might not even complete its run. The Japanese guy on that show irritates me especially. (And is he in Japan when he discovers his powers? Because clocks with Chinese characters are very rare--arabic numerals are universal--so universal that only non-East Asians would think of having a clock like that as some token of Asian culture. Morons. And what is with the cubicles? Japanese offices, as far as I know, still have communal desks and work areas for the lower ranks.) It's too bad Ali Larter is involved with such a stinker, but I guess she needs work.

(I didn't know Mutant X, which was in syndication, had been dead for a while. It was created by Marvel Studios, though I didn't know it at the time I caught an episode on TV--I thought it was just an X-Men ripoff.)

On ABC... there is The Nine, which follows the lives of a hostages of bank robbery who try to piece together what happened. Its stars include Tim Daly and Kim Raver (recently of 24)--may be it will good, and ABC is putting it behind Lost. I think they could have given Invasion a chance. Six Degrees looks like adultlescent crap. My guess is Ugly Betty, the American remake of Betty la Fea, produced by Selma Hayak, will tank.

Fox... there is Standoff, about hostage negotiators who have a 'relationship' (sounds like it will attract the same people who watch Bones) and Vanished, about the search for the missing wife of a senator. Sarge loves the Simpsons; Fox cancelled Arrested Development, my sister's favorite show. Too bad. I may catch an episode of Vanished to see if it is any good, but my guess is that I will be waiting for the new season of 24 in January.

And then there is the CW, the union of UPN and WB. Mostly stuff for teens and young adults... however, Sarge does like Smallville.

Yes, I watch too much TV.

No comments: