



The series finale was yesterday, and it has been the subject of chatter here and there--you can find some discussion over at Open Book. I never got into the show, since I don't have cable, and haven't had a chance to watch it on DVD though I have been intrigued by all the buzz surrounding the show from time to time. But if it really does end by showing Tony Soprano and his family reconciling themselves with evil, nihilism (whatever you want to call it), and affirms the reality that people themselves choose hell... then I ask again, what would be the point of me spending time on watching this? Does it qualify as Christian tragedy, like the tragedies of Shakespeare?
Pete Takeshi could never get interested in the show; perhaps he will change his mind.
HBO website
wiki
The Sopranos - Family Values
The Sopranos
The Sopranos on HBO - The Sopranos Spoilers, Episode Guides ...
A poster for Sarge...

And your favorite brunette:









Yahoo! Movies: Jamie-Lynn Sigler
Jamie-Lynn Sigler - Yahoo! TV
Popoholic » Jamie-Lynn Sigler
Jamie Lynn Sigler Pictures Gallery and News BeyondHollywood.com ...
Jamie-Lynn Sigler Links
Jamie Lynn Sigler pics photo gallery immagini at Evenca Celebs
Maxim & FHM
2 comments:
Going by the ending, I probably never will get interested in the Sopranos... at least until the movies inevitably come out in theaters.
The thing I could never, ever get used to in Sopranos was the lack of nemesis. As a genre, gangster fiction provides closure by demonstrating that the focus character's dissolute ways always, always catch up to him.
Vito Corleone has a debilitating attempt on his life and then a stroke; Michael Corleone destroys everything he tries to preserve from his father; Henry Hill gets busted for cocaine and goes to the suburban hell of the witness protection program; Tony Montana goes out in a blaze of glory with his little friend; and you know what happens to EVERYBODY in The Departed.
It's an integral part of the gangster drama that the gangster will suffer for his transgressions against the law. Because the Sopranos doesn't have this, it's eerily unnatural on a level that most fans can't quite understand. It would be like watching a mystery in which the detective gets tired of looking for the killer and goes home.
So I said before that I would only watch the Sopranos when an episode came along where Tony got whacked.
That episode never came.
I suppose that for many of the disappointed fans, "Not with a bang but with a whimper," is applicable.
Post a Comment