Jesuits Have Sights on China
Outgoing Superior Says Order Hopes to Return
But will they have enough Jesuits to send? And will they be orthodox and zealous for the conversion of souls and the handing on of Tradition? I would think that the opportunities for the sort of apostolic work that the Jesuits have done among the intellectual class and the political elites would be limited. How can you have that sort of dialogue with a Communist, when many in the party are not authentic Communists, but just atheists holding onto power? There are no more Confucians in China.
If the Jesuits are failing to preserve the Western intellectual heritage and the harmony between faith and reason in Western countries, what can they hope to accomplish in China, where the emphasis on the practical is even greater, and there is no interest in the speculative?
Perhaps the best thing that could be done would be the resurrection of the Chinese rite, but that too may no longer be relevant. Who understands classical Chinese? (I believe the rite was in classical Chinese, but I could be wrong.)
I'd still like to read a good introductory work to Mohist logic and a comparison with traditional Westernlogic and modern logic.
Later Mohist Logic, Ethics and Science; ; A.C. Graham
Logic in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Logic and Language in Ancient China
Two Roads to Wisdom?: Chinese and Analytic Philosophical Traditions - Google Books Result
A Daoist Theory of Chinese Thought: A Philosophical Interpretation ...
No comments:
Post a Comment