Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Yesterday I was subbing at Don Callejon, which is one of the newer schools in the SCUSD, if not the newest, and is located right next to Rivermark. The facilities are quite modern--the urinal in the men's bathroom doesn't require water to flush. (Well, it doesn't flush, actually, so I don't know what exactly is special about it, besides that it presumably saves water. But is there something different about its internals or plumbing?) The computers in the classroom aren't Dell, but look like Dell knock-offs. (At least the monitors aren't Dell; I didn't look at the case to see if it matched the monitor or not, but I didn't see a Dell logo on it.)

The school includes both primary and middle grades. Surprisingly, it's more diverse than many of the other schools I've been to in San Jose--there were 0 [full] Anglos in the first-grade class, though there was one with an English last name, but she is also half-Hispanic. 20% of the class was Indian. No doubt this reflects the diversity of the surrounding residential area.

On the wall of the classroom were student-made decorations for Easter and St. Patrick's Day. What is the significance of these two holidays? Do they even talk about what these holidays mean with the students? That sounds very unlikely. At another school I was somewhat amazed that the students even knew who Paul Bunyan is. They weren't familiar with other American folk tales, though. I know only a few more. Admittedly the sort of "cultural literacy" that I am talking about is primarily Anglo (though John Henry is African-American). But why should people who have been permitted to join a different political community be free from learning about the culture and mores of that community? But if there is anyone to blame for multiculturalism it is mainly those who are afraid to defend Anglo-American culture and pass it on, or worse multiculturalists who have power. While some immigrants do become advocates for their ethnic/cultural groups vis-a-vis public school curricula, it seems that of those who are concerned about passing their culture on to their children, most are content to do this at home or through private associations.

As I did not bring lunch with me today, I drove over to Rivermark Plaza in search of something to eat. I don't know how big the parking garage is but there aren't enough above-ground parking spots. (I also went at a bad time...) I ultimately settled on Baja Fresh--steak burrito ultimo. Baja Fresh is ok, but it's expensive and I don't think the food there is better than what one can get at a local Mexican eatery. (Is it healthier?)

As for Rivermark itself... while it's convenient to have a 'minor' shopping center (no clothing stores there, as far as I could tell) within walking distance of where one lives, it's still far from the ideal promoted by New Urbanism. I don't think there are many mom-and-pop stores at the shopping plaza--it looked like almost everything was a part of a chain (with the exception of Yo Yo Sushi or Mezbaan (yelp)?) There is no website for Rivermark, so I don't know what other restaurants are there. Maybe Mezbaan is worth a try later this week. But I don't think I would want to put up with the parking situation...

Would Safeway be considered the anchor store? Probably very little of what is sold at Rivermark is locally produced, and so while the area may be somewhat aesthetically pleasing, it's living arrangements are possible only because of cheap oil, and do nothing to solve the problems of petrocivilization.

How many teachers will lose their jobs because of the California state budget crisis? Is the attrition rate for new teachers still as high as it was 5 years ago? Many leave the profession because they cannot afford to live in the Bay Area on a teacher's salary, at least initially. (Though after 10-15 years and getting 'tenure' they should be doing ok? But do they earn as much as teachers in New York City with comparable experience and education?)

Last night we finally went Family Delight Cafe--my brother-in-law ordered beef chow fun, which he said was good, even though it didn't have much beef. I ordered the ginger green onion pork chop, which was good, while my sister KK ordered salt and spicy pork chop--which was only ok, as it was just a pork chop cut up and cooked. The rice dishes are $5.25 or more, $6.25 for chin min. Over at yelp one of the reviews called it "home cooking," and I would have to agree with that. If I were living in a different part of the South Bay, I don't think it would be worth the drive. It would be better to live in SF or Millbrae if one wants to have plenty of good HK/Cantonese restaurants nearby.

Should I try Korean BBQ and Noodle House in Fremont? I wonder if the buffet place off of Kiely is still in business or not... I still haven't gone to Korean Buffet in San Jose.

My brother-in-law told me that OLP has been reviewed in Yelp. Crazy--don't people have better things to do with their time than to evaluate Catholic parishes on Yelp?

No comments: