We find out which character dies in this episode. I haven't watched much of season 3 and there are episodes of seasons 1 and 2 that I didn't watch. As for the death and its cause--a bit of a shocker. Highlight to read the rest (with spoilers).
So Cally was spaced by Tory, who had just given her a speech about how the final 4 were cylons but caring, not evil before punching her across the launch bay. What does this really say about the final 4 and their motivations? Earlier Tory was talking to Tyrol about feeling liberated and having the opportunity to discover herself anew. She was also flirting with him, and it does seem that she wants Tyrol.
Many claim that BSG is the best TV show, but I tend to disagree--I think it does well because it has so much drama, and that is lacking these days with all of the reality TV shows on network TV. (While cable TV seems to be doing better, because they still invest money into drama series.) I can't say if the majority are well-written or not, but from what I've read, at least there is drama and interpersonal conflict. Even if the source of the conflict is some kind of immaturity or another.
When interpersonal conflict becomes accepted as the norm, and not just normal, and is coupled along with some sort of relativism so that the conflict cannot be adjudicated or resolved reasonably, what are we left with? A very poor conception of what it means to "be human." We are just live according to our desires and emotions, struggling to live with others but very often failing, and nothing can be done to change or improve this. It doesn't seem very meaningful, does it?
No comments:
Post a Comment