Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Ms. N- was friendly yesterday, smiling and doing some other Asian things after she thought her class cut in front of mine while going to the cafeteria. She even showed her hair. I thought perhaps she was hiding her head or something. (She did get chemo treatment a while back.) Today she was a bit more of what I think is her regular self--quiet in the morning, though after lunch was over she saw me put a mint in my mouth and she said "Still eating!"

This morning I think I got enough sleep--I was in a good mood and actually rather energetic, even though I didn't eat breakfast. I though I would be able to last the day, and was thinking of how after the third week I'd be looking forward to the end of the 30-day assignment. But by the end of the day I was back to thinking that it was a bad idea to accept the assignment.

And, the energy didn't last the afternoon, though I was able to stay on top of things. But I'm feeling a bit tired right now here at home.

As JP might think, I had to be 'mean.' Raising one's voice in the classroom seems inevitable, and often it was due to irritation. It also seems to me that yelling can lead one to become angry. But I think I'll have to stick to this policy (of warning about consequences early in the day and following through if necessary), since it was effective in getting them to quiet down and work and they really need that sort of heavy-handed direction. Unfortunately there is so much to do during the school day, especially checking their work, so sometimes I can't monitor the classroom as closely as I would like.

Some of the students in blonde schoolteacher Ms. R's class apparently were not following directions. I'm a bit surprised she let them go out to recess--I thought they might have to stay in, but sometimes you just let them go so they get their energy outside while you have a breather. One of the boys was crying though--not sure if he wasn't following directions and was reprimanded.

M-rat wanted me to jump rope and she got me during afternoon recess. The first time they tried to swing the rope over my head, it wasn't high enough and got caught on my hat. I had to laugh at that, because I've told them before the jump rope is a bit too short. (It's the appropriate length for primary school students.) They did it again though and it cleared my head the next time. I was able to jump the rope about 4 times, even though I was wearing sandals today. For some reason the girls think it's fun to have the teacher jump rope; they like to stand and watch... it's seems to be an engrossing sight, though it usually doesn't last long since I have yard duty. A couple of her classmates were acting like hangers-on again, but fortunately only briefly... I say, "Fortunately," because while it's harmless, it could cause other people to talk, and maybe that could lead to something nasty.

JM came by the classroom several times today. After school, her sister noticed her desire to be in the class. She told me once about things at home, and it seems that her father doesn't really spend much time with her or ignores her most of the time. So I am conscious that I need to be a good role model/ideal for her, even while I am being attentive to her. Perhaps she is too young for me to have an impact on her, and her decision-making in the future. But I remember when I had her class in December that she was going to marry only a "gentleman." I hope she remembers what she says and knows what one is, when the time comes. Maybe I should read through Meg Meeker's book.

Girls will be girls, no matter what the deconstructionists might believe.


Q&A: Dr. Meg Meeker on 'Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters' - HUMAN ....

Dr. Meg Meeker - Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters (part 1)


Dr. Meg Meeker - Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters (part 2)


parts 3, 4, 5, 6

Dr. Meg Meeker - The Rules Have Changed: pt 1, 2, 3

Dr. Meg Meeker - Teens & Sex, part 1, 2

Dr. Meg Meeker - Right To Sex

About Meg Meeker

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First time visit. Why the periodic daily event reports? Feels like I'm reading your diary. Kind of strange...