



It's been a while since I've seen the movie, so I re-watched it last night. (Also because it's available on Hulu.) There is a bit of raunch (plus an objectionable rape scene); the bawdy banter between a husband and his wife lends it some authenticity? Though I do not know much about Scottish culture, only about a family or two. The depiction of conjugal relations between Rob Roy and Mary is not explicit; same may even praise it for being honest and positive. (Plus there is a 'pro-life' element at the end of the story.) One is tempted to give it a pass, since it is minor in comparison to what might be shown in other rated-R movies, but this is conceding too much to Hollywood. Can the strong affection between a husband and wife be shown, without putting the conjugal act onscreen, even if both are clothed or covered by something else? I would think so. (Some may say that these scenes in Rob Roy are not pornographic, since they do not excite. That may be the case for many males, even most. But are they necessary for the story? There used to be a time when kissing was not shown.)
The language might be difficult to understand, given the dialect and use of slang. Perhaps it lends the movie an air of intelligence. Braveheart came out the same year--I preferred Rob Roy to that movie. "Less action, more story." (And Braveheart seemed to be approving adultery.) I don't know if my opinion is the same now.
How accurate is the portray of the Scottish independent spirit and informality (which is not necessarily the same as egalitarianism, since some sort of hierarchy or seniority exists), and the concern for honor? Are the actions consistent with Scottish mores and honor? I'd like to read more about clan politics and relations.
Some more photos of Liam Neeson from the movie here.
I should read the original novel by Sir Walter Scott. Both are based on a "true story," but based on the wiki entry, one can say that the scriptwriter took more than a few artistic liberties (including compression of the timeframe).
1671 Rob Roy McGregor Born
Rob Roy MacGregor and History of Clan MacGregor
Famous Scots - Rob Roy MacGregor
Related links:
Official Scottish Clans and Families
wiki: Scottish clan
Scottish Clans Tartans Kilts Crests and Gifts
Scottish tartans-Scotland clans heritage from Scotland On Line
The Kilt and Thistle Scottish Shoppes
Some more links... Perhaps the New Scot has purchased a new kilt already. There used to be a waiter at the Sunset Grill who wore something like a modern kilt. Does he still work there?
1 comment:
Nice And Informative Website. Please Keep Continue Such Kind Of Effort.
I Shared Your Post With My Friends Also. kilt pattern
Post a Comment