
AICN: New Trailer for Australia
Does Nicole Kidman's English accent disappear half-way through the trailer? I'm generally interested in cowboy movies, but there are at least two negatives for this movie: Nicole Kidman and Baz Luhrmann. I'm inclined to think that Baz Luhrmann is trying too hard to create an Australian epic. I still haven't seen his other movies, but I do prefer the look of this movie to the what I've seen of the others in trailers, and the colors match the settings.
I really doubt the two main characters get married before having relations (as hinted at in the trailer)--I am surprised though that the movie isn't even more PC, despite what appears to be some elements of feminism and multiculturalism in the story. Regarding the latter, it depends on what sort of relationship the aborigine boy has with Hugh Jackman's character, and his significance to Australian culture. I wrote multiculturalism for a reason--there's nothing objectionable about including aborigines among the characters. But to say the Australian Aboriginal culture is equal, or even superior to Australian Anglo culture? (And I'm not referring primarily to material culture, but to religion and mores.) That would be a questionable instance of multiculturalism.
Of course, superiority in culture does not justify injustice or [extreme] chauvinism.
According to wiki, Russell Crowe was interested in playing the role ultimately taken by Hugh Jackman. I suppose he could pull the role off; how about Guy Pearce? He hasn't really done many leading-man roles.
I should get the Man from Snowy River sequel.
some stills here, more at the official website
1 comment:
Well, Aboriginines do exist. It would odd to make a movie and not show them.
Post a Comment