Monday, January 19, 2009

Hitler Stopped by Franco (via Stephen Hand)

Mr. Hand writes: "Always in the name of "equality": It could not have been more cynical. Women were dogged into the workplace (double the taxes for the gov't), and then dogged into war (double the cannon fodder). Then women found they had no choice but to work since the Fed, banks and lenders manipulated their housing costs and everything else. Now many are being foreclosed on. But many (women and men) will still enjoy the cliches and mythology of this week's inaugural events."

On Tuesday CNN will be giving live coverage of the inauguration, in tandem with Facebook. If I'm not working, I suppose I may watch it. But there isn't much point--there will be plenty of pundits and bloggers who will be going through the rhetoric and dissecting it. My guess is that it will make plenty of Americans feel good about themselves and their country, but "talk is cheap." I am waiting for the new president to do something unexpected, rather than maintaining the status quo. His stimulus plan is already disappointing.

2009 Presidential Inaugural Resources
2009 Inaugural Events
Inauguration Day 2009
Q&A: Presidential inauguration 2009 - CNN.com

The Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies will be honoring Lincoln for the 2009 Inaugural theme. Once again, the official mythology is perpetuated, and Obama is all too happy to play his part.

No comments: