I liveblogged the inauguration a bit this morning on Facebook. Was there a lot to critique? His talking points were mostly phrased in terms of vague generalities, with nothing concrete or specific being offered to address the problems that he mentioned. A lot like the campaign rhetoric. Of course, we all know about his stimulus plan, and he did have a transition website. But I would have liked for President Obama to have said more about how Americans need to sacrifice, and in what ways. Do we need to give up the idea of an infinitely expanding economy? His talk about alternative fuels was disappointing, as he continues to advocate biofuels as an economically feasible source of energy. As for his claim that we 'may be facing' new challenges. Well, we aren't--nothing that hasn't been around for a while--the need to curb the oligarchs and bring about social justice, for one. (Perhaps he should read some of the papal encyclicals presenting the Church's social teaching.)
On Facebook, someone unfriended me today--perhaps as a result of the criticisms I was making of the inauguration and of the inaugural address--it was Mrs. O's daughter. That's too bad, since I originally made the request to maintain some sort of link to Mrs. O. Usually I refrain from being too political on Facebook, since it's not really a secure place to voice one's opinion. Not that the Internet is any better, but at least on certain websites one can have a conversation with those who agree on first principles, without being distracted by others who are opposed to those principles. The mania surrounding the inauguration and the historical novelty will eventually subside. Will his supporters be disappointed? And how soon?
With a social networking website like Facebook, one is tempted to make as many connections as possible, even though not all of the relationships are of the same depth. Is it really that vital to make it possible for others to find and contact me, if they have the need to do so? Close friendships should be maintained without the use of Facebook; what then, of the other associations? It seems unlikely that one can form even an "online community" with all of one's FB friends as members--they have better things to do with their time. Perhaps FB would be useful for prayer requests and other notifications, but if one is grounded in a real community and parish (or has access to a community of contemplatives), would FB really be necessary for the former?
I suppose the human heart is such that it holds out hope that friendships that have deteriorated due to distance will eventually be re-strengthened, and latches on to FB as a means of bringing this about.
Are you dissatisfied with your life? Many moral theology texts have taken the eudaimonistic approach--one sees this approach taken in various evangelization efforts as well. I was thinking about this today... might it be that when some people report a voice telling them something is wrong, this isn't their conscience, but really the Holy Spirit at work? The eudaimonistic approach will not work with those are content with their lives. Something needs to make them question whether they are happy, either their conscience or God Himself. If I do not believe in God and do not perceive that there is anything missing from my life, and that my goodness is good enough, what reason do I have to consider theism, much less a moral conversion that is centered on God?
No comments:
Post a Comment