Saturday, September 25, 2010

Roger Ebert likes Never Let Me Go, based on the novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've lost interest in Keira Knightley as an actress, but the movie itself may be worth a look. (Not sure if I'd tackle the novel...)



Apple
Rotten Tomatoes
Yahoo Movies

[Edit. I forgot to add this remark last night -- I knew Ebert was an altar boy when he was young, but did he also receive a Catholic education? He writes in his review: "Two of the requirements for a being with a soul in Thomist philosophy are free will, and the ability to love. Donors qualify for both." A Thomist would talk about rationality and how the capacity to love is included in rationality, this seems to be more like a "Franciscan" account. Where did he pick this up?]

It's been a long week, and I was at the Gun Rights Policy Conference today; maybe I'll post something on it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Thanks for the news. I loved the book; one of the best novels I've read in the past decade.