Today after the 11:00 AM Mass was the parish's celebration of its patron, St. Joseph of Cupertino (his feast day was yesterday). Watching the parishioners stroll into the parish hall for the potluck lunch, I was again made aware of the demographic changes that have taken place since I was a child. There were a few families attending, but not very many young adults, except for a couple of people associated with the Legionaries and a couple of other men who looked familiar. (Apparently the local LCs are associated with the youth ministry program.) There are less and less white people with each passing year, and it seems that most of those who still come to parish celebrations are seniors or getting to that age. Soon we will not have any Italian-Americans at the parish?
Just yesterday I was thinking about my classmates in 2nd grade, including N. Miller, who also went to CCD, though she wasn't in my class. Where are they now? What is the ethnic composition of the CCD classes today? If only I remembered all their names. I don't think these were printed in my yearbook. (And I do not know where that is.)
Meanwhile, Sarge attended Emo's church today, which celebrated the Mid-Autumn Festival afterwards (along with the feast of St. Andrew Kim). Wish I could have been there.
No comments:
Post a Comment