Watching the encore presentation of Worlds Within (그들이 사는 세상) [Hulu] on KBS America, I was astonished by how fornication was readily accepted by the female characters as something wonderful and romantic. The main female character Ju Junyeong talks about her first time having sex with her boyfriend, the main male character Jung Jio.) Japanese TV was probably the first to go down with respect to sexual mores; Hong Kong TV went into moral decline in the 90s. Before that time, the depictions of romantic relationships tended to be rather chaste and innocent. The moral decline of S. Korean dramas began recently, though I don't know which drama to point to as the one that started the trend. I am just a bit disappointed with Worlds Within since it has Song Hye Gyo. "Acting is a job" so the dramas they pick may not reflect their personal beliefs but it does make me think about the real-life relationship (now over) between the two main actors, Song Hye Gyo and Hyun Bin. There are plenty of other celebrities who are having children out of wedlock, and as I mentioned before, Korean entertainment news programs seem to be OK with openly reporting this. Korean dramas are still very regulated by government, so no rated R content is actually shown, but the drama does show the two characters waking up together in the morning, though they may be clothed.
I haven't kept up with Taiwanese dramas, so I don't know if moral standards have been relaxed there as well. I suspect mainland China is still rather conservative.
AV media has a powerful impact on the moral imagination. People may argue that it's too late to turn the clock, that art merely reflects reality, but I think it is proper for there to be government censors supervising content, and it is unfortunate that S. Korea has become rather lax with respect to television.
I think the melody of the refrain for the opening song sounds very much like what you'd hear in a Japanese drama...
opening
Drama Addicts
wiki
They say that the opposite of love is indifference. "I want to forgot you so I don't have to hate you. I'd rather not care." Funny how emotions (worsened by physical intimacy and bonding) work.
There wasn't much to the friendship to begin with. Life would be more free of resentments if people adhered to certain rules governing behavior towards member of the opposite sex. It is more likely that women will use men for emotional support and attention than treat them as friends. Egalitarianism, for the most part, doesn't exist in the real world.
It reminds me of the silliness of high school and college, when teenagers and young adults think themselves so mature in how they handle friendships and relationships. All of those hook-up disasters in the dorms during college - could they have been prevented if people had some humility and restraint?
No comments:
Post a Comment