I can't help but think of F. Murray Abraham's portrayal of Antonio Salieri in the movie Amadeus, especially in the beginning, after a failed suicide attempt a priest is visiting him and Abraham confesses to killing "Wolfgang... Amadeus... Mozart." It's been a long time since I've seen that movie, and I have heard Mozart defenders criticize it for not being an accurate depiction of what Mozart was really like. Some of his letters have been published, and while he was a Freemason (iirc), he was also a practicing Catholic. Musically gifted, but perhaps a bit naive about the world and of politics?
Mozart was born on 27 January 1756.
Thoughts on Mozart's Birthday, from Lloyd Schwartz (audio file)

An undated portrait of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. (AP Photo)
The current pope is a fan of Mozart; in the current issue of American Conservative there is an article on Haydn, perhaps the best composer after Mozart? I know over at Christendom Haydn is actually the personal favorite of one of the faculty, rather than Mozart.
Pope Benedict XVI, Mozart and the Quest of Beauty by Mark Feer
What would Mozart think of Beethoven and the Romantics? Some have said that Mozart had exhausted what the classical Viennese school could offer, and that from that point on, it could only be replaced by Romanticism. Robert Reilly over at Crisis magazine might differ; in the past he has devoted his articles to introducing readers to neglected classical masters, and I have benefitted from his recommendations. Perhaps one day his column will be availble on the website's archives.
One day I will study more music theory and learn about the different forms... until then I can only listen and try to appreciate the art of a master...
Music theory
Ricci Adam's website
Gary Ewer's website
teoria.com
emusictheory.com
Worldwide Internet Music Resources
U. of Washington Libraries
Music Theory online
The Society for Music Theory
Information on the development of the symphony:
thinkquest
dorak
Links:
Official 250th birthday site in English
The Mozart Project
His operas
Studio Mozart
Classical Music Archives
Carolina Classical
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
No comments:
Post a Comment