Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Prestige

trailer
unofficial site

Directed by Christopher Nolan, and starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, and Scarlett Johansson. It is based on the novel by Christopher Priest:
A story of obsessive secrecy and insatiable curiosity, The Prestige is set in the gaslight-and-velvet world of Victorian music halls. Two stage illusionists engage in a bitter and deadly feud -- the effects are still being felt by their respective families a hundred years later. Both men lurk in the background of each other's shadowy life, driven to the extremes by the mystery of an amazing stage illusion they both perform. The secret of the magic is simple (the reader is in on it almost from the start) but to the antagonists the real mystery lies deeper. Both men have something more to hide than the mere workings of a trick.
Not your typical drama, the trailer definitely conveys the sense that there is more than just magic at work here--so what's the real mystery? I suppose I am more inclined to watch this movie than The Departed. (official website--not yet up) Then again, I may get hooked into watching that as well. Melkimx thinks Christian Bale is hot and can't stop singing his praises. I wonder if she has seen Equilibrium.







Movie stills.



No comments: