Friday, February 01, 2008

123 Meme

I was tagged by the Western Confucian.

The Rules:-
Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)
Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people.


The two prohibitions form one precept, in Aquinas's mind, because the prohibition against graven images is understood to forbid worshipping these images as gods. There is a relationship of entailment between the prohibition against graven images and the prohibition against worshipping other gods besides the one, true God, and thus there is need for only one precept. But the point most worth emphasizing here is the way in which the First Commandment reposes upon a prior understanding of ourselves as bound to honor God as the ultimate end, and as the unrivalled ultimate end, of human beings.

This is from Daniel McInerny's The Difficult Good: A Thomistic Approach to Moral Conflict and Human Happiness, one of the few books that are out of the moving bins and one I was planning to use for the dissertation. (But I've narrowed the dissertation topic down since then, so I would be referring to it much, if at all.)

I see Fr. Dewan, O.P has a new book in the Moral Philosophy and Moral Theology series--Wisdom, Law and Virtue: Essays in Thomistic Ethics. $85, rather expensive, but it is for 600 pages...

I tag Pete Takeshi, Seraphic Single, heh. I think that's about it? Not sure who else reads this blog and blogs as well.

1 comment:

Seraphic Single said...

Ooooh nooooo! You meanie!