Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Spooks: The Greater Good

I didn't read the Variety review or The Telegraph until after I watched the movie, but I found it decent, even though not many characters from the series return for the movie. My only complaint might be that there was too much of the cloak-and-dagger that was trademark of the series -- is that sort of maneuvering more realistic than Bond? I think the movie had a better pacing than 24 and its real-time gimmick?

Harry Pearce and his sort of cold calculus, perhaps in accord with utilitarianism required for the security and prosperity of the modern nation-state, but cold nonetheless. (And even in the series he pays a personal price for doing his "duty.") Will there be a sequel despite the ending of the movie? Did Peter Hitchens see the movie? Did it do well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel? I think fans of the original TV series will probably like the movie despite its imperfections, but I think it unlikely that the movie gained a wider audience for the story.

FB
Spooks: Exploring the past, present and future of the iconic spy series
Max Brown keen on Spooks movie sequel: "I loved playing Dimitri"

No comments: