Friday, May 05, 2006

news from Kzoo

Well, New Scot, you would probably like it here, especially the exhibits section. Plenty of publishers here, plus some merchants selling this and that. I suppose you'd find much of the same stuff at a Renaissance Faire or a SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) event. Perhaps one of your colleagues over at Hudson Catholic would fit in. As for possible spouses, I am not sure if you would find someone appropriate here.

However, there is probably some weird stuff on the program--some early feminism, pagan spirituality, "queer" revisionism--I would not be surprised to see such things listed. But I'm not going to look through the program right now, maybe later.

I was treated to some of Dr. Timothy Noone's fine harmonica-playing last night. He gave a nice lesson about the origins of bluegrass music, its links to jazz and blues, how these genres that we tend to think of as being separate are actually tied together historically and sociologically, and how real American music is not appreciated here in the U.S. You would probably like some of the Southern dancing that originates in English country dance. It's unfortunate that they don't promote such things more over at Christendom.

My sister claims that she and her roommate are getting a reputation around the department for throwing parties; not so surprising perhaps. We'll have to see what happens tonight. (Heh, or if I'm even invited.)

Then again it's Friday, maybe I'll check out a certain movie, but I think the movie theater might be too far away for a walk in these clothes.

No comments: