Sunday, June 25, 2006

Nail Salons

So after Mass Fujian gal wanted to go to the nail salon so I tagged along, as I was getting a ride from her... New Scot likes to point out that most (if not all) nail salons are operated by Vietnamese, and it is certainly true of Dana's, on the corner of Washington and Lake Street. It was rather packed on a Sunday, naturally filled with women customers. Manicures and pedicures... I suppose having nice and/or painted nails is rather gurly, and attractive to the extent it symbolizes and enhances gurliness... but what would St. John Chrysostom say of it all?

yeah, 'beauty of the soul'...

I still think 'natural' (but groomed) is best.

I missed the World Cup 'football' game today featuring England; saw some clips of Beckham, though--he's quite skilled, but still a metro off the field.

1 comment:

Peter Whelan said...

In my old hometown (a bedroom community north of NYC by about an hour) there's a nail salon and a sushi restaurant right next to it that I'm almost positive are run by Koreans. They drive up from Flushing every day in a big van to run the stores, and then commute back after closing time at 10PM.t