
Hong Kong actors Andy Lau (L) and Anita Yuen pose during a news conference to promote their new movie 'Protege' in Hong Kong August 3, 2006. REUTERS/Paul Yeung (HONG KONG)
First Shirley Kwan, now Anita? Ugh, apparently she's back with Julian Cheung Chi-lam and it's his kid. (And they're not married.) I don't know how long they've been together, but I do remember that they had broken up for a period of time.
I was thinking that even though adultery, fornication and such are mentioned in Hong Kong dramas, they are not shown (beyond some kissing). Also, here in the U.S., just because a comedy has children in it does not mean it's family-friendly. Examples: George Lopez, According to Jim, Yes, Dear. The days of the Cosby Show and ABC Family Fridays are gone. I remember when I was in 5th grade hearing classmates talk about Cheers. When I first watched the show a couple of years later, I was surprised parents would let their children watch a comedy like that, with adult themes and jokes. Now, the innuendo and situations are even worse. (For example, on According to Jim one plot revolved around sex toys and Jim's feelings of inadequacy.)
At least Hong Kong comedies are very family-friendly. More on Chinese family dynamics, as compared with American family dynamics, and Dr. Laura's recommendations, in another post.
Hong Kong has embarked on a pro-children campaign in order to counter the decline in population, but what would happen if the government were to inform the citizens on children's need to have an intact family? Perhaps we would get the same reaction here--"we don't need a piece of paper to live like a married couple or have a family."
No comments:
Post a Comment