Monday, May 19, 2008

Fresca and artificial sweeteners

I finally figured out what about Fresca (wiki) has been bothering me recently. It;s not the artificial flavoring. I think it's the artificial sweetener. While I have not tasted saccharine in a long time, aspartame in powdered form probably has a similar taste? I made the connection when the Fresca's aftertaste reminded me of diet sodas. Why didn't I think of this sooner? I'm not sure. The taste didn't really bother me until now. I will probably give up drinking Fresca, like I should stop drinking soda in general. Stop patronizing the corn industry! And I should be more suspicious of artificial sweeteners. Is sucralose any better? I know my mom likes Splenda.

I'm finishing leftovers from last night's dinner at Pan Tao, and I'm having to hold my nose again in order to eat the shrimp. Oh well, back to The F Word.

Edit. The one good thing of artificial sweeteners--ants don't want it and are not interested in it, so I can have [almost] empty cans of Fresca sitting around without attracting the ants.

Aspartame Information Center - An Aspartame and Low Calorie ... (Who's subsidizing this website?)
Artificial Sweeteners and Cancer: Q and A - National Cancer Institute
Sugar substitute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Artificial sweeteners: A safe alternative to sugar - MayoClinic.com
SPLENDA® Sucralose | Welcome
Sucralose: Low Calorie Sweetener

Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aspartame: What You Don"t Know Can Hurt You
Sugar substitutes and the potential danger of Splenda
Splenda (Sucralose) Toxicity Exposed
Mm... hrm... Aspartame - Most dangerous of all artificial sweeteners! (Is this a credible website?)
Sugar-Free Blues

The Murky World of High-Fructose Corn Syrup
The Double Danger of High Fructose Corn Syrup
The Cheapest Calories Make You the Fattest - September/October ...
When corn is king | csmonitor.com
Weed It and Reap - New York Times
Michael Pollan - Opinion - New York Times Blog
Americans, Once Again, Are Skewered for Bad Eating Habits: This ...
Unhappy Meals - Michael Pollan - New York Times

Eco-Worriers | The Monthly

No comments: