
Even though it features Jewel as a judge and has some appeal to me for that reason, the show is representative of much (all?) that is wrong with contemporary country music. As for Billy Ray Cyrus being the show's host... my perhaps extreme reaction is that he should spend more time parenting--a lot of people are worried that Miley Cyrus will follow in the footsteps of Lindsay Lohan. I remember when his Achy Breaky Heart was first released, there were a lot of complaints about the dumbing down of country and the promotion of image over substance; this was in addition to the older crticism of its transformation through the influence of pop and rock (both with respect to the music and also to its performance). I suppose some of the same criticisms could be made with respect to Taylor Swift, whose rise and popularity baffles fans of traditional country music. (Her MySpace.)
on taylor swift and the death of country music « (insert name here)
A lot of the contestants on the show just can't sing well... sometimes the judges make comments about it, sometimes there is the Paula Abdul sort of praise on American Idol that makes you wonder if they were listening to the same performance, or if there is something about the acoustics in the theater that changes the sound.
I'm partial to Pearl Heart -- Sarge might be too. But Melissa is probably the best in the group of contestants. Some photos of Pearl Heart:


Pearl Heart {Who Says You Cant Go Home} NBC's Nashville Star
They're performing a song written by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora (who have recently crossed over into country). And so the line between country and rock has been blurred, to the deteriment of country I believe. I remember having a conversation with another seminarian about this more than 10 years ago--he's now a priest, Fr. PW. The use of electric instruments, a heavy focus on the beat, and a lot of noise--music should not destroy one's hearing, whether it's played on the radio or live, and then there is the problem of music that unleashes passion without guidance from reason, through the emphasis on rhythm.
Country music's reflection of traditional mores has been lost to an extent; we can hear this in the lyrics and see it in oversexualized music videos. Undoubtedly there has always been a 'darker' side to country (someone who has been a long-time follower of country music can speak about this, I'm too young and new to country to say much but give my impressions), but it was more of an acknowledgement of human sin and frailty, than an endorsement or rationalization of bad behavior? And the rest had a clean, wholesome quality, with songs about devotion to one's wife and family and so on? I like the melody for a certain Leann Womack song (and her voice, even though it is rather limited), but I think there si a bit too much morose delectation with respect to fornication and 'love' in the lyrics.
What is the audience for country music like in the Bay Area? Who are the fans that go to the concerts? (Alan Jackson is performing in San Jose in August.) Perhaps the biggest country station is 95.7 The Wolf, but I find that its male hosts and djs are lacking 'something'. Country music remains popular in mainstream America (I think pop is dying a faster death)--but doesn't it say something about country music when its popularity has become separate from the culture that gave birth to it? Is its mainstreaming or assimilation into 'American culture' just another example of traditional culture being destroyed when it is 'nationalized' through the work of merchants? And can there be any other result when music is reduced to mass entertainment?
There is another, smaller radio station, 95.3 KRTY , but there seems to be more variety (although this afternoon they did play the Alan Jackson song "Good Times" twice within two hours.
What can be said about Nashville and the record companies there? Is talent really being groomed? Or are pretty faces with some singing ability just being marketed for dollars? Perhaps country music had been commercialized even in the 'good old days' -- but I would like to think that it had lagged behind other genres a bit?
(How would God apportion talent in a healthy society? Who has resources and talent to learn how to play an instrument (as opposed to singing)? Perhaps only a few would have the talent and skills to play instruments, but shouldn't the community nuture their development, so that they can contribute to the life of the local community?)
At this point I would like to see singers just sing good folk songs and covers of classics, instead of adding to the incessant drive for novelty and originality. But I suppose this is out of their control, and really something imposed by the record companies?
I don't know if I like all of 'classic' country; at this point I'm favoring more traditional forms of folk music and alternatives to mainstream country. Maybe it has to do with the quality of the recordings, but much of 'classic' coutnry strikes me as being quaint. I should give it more attention though, if I get a chance. More about my listening to country music in another post. As for consuming alternate forms of music, even traditional forms... that is still problematic, but I don't think local community life and culture is going to be restored on a wide scale in the Bay Area any time soon, though there are events here and there. If I have the opportunity to attend some of those, I'll try to write about it.
Too bad you can't havea house party with salon music, Pete Takeshi. I'd like to be there for that.
Country Music On The Decline? « Newscoma
The Decline of Country Radio -- The 9513
NY Times: FOR COUNTRY MUSIC, A NEW SOUND ENDS 5 YEARS' STAGNATION
Academy of Country Music
Country Music Association CMAworld.com
For the Love of Polyphony: COMMENT: The Decline of the Music Business.
No comments:
Post a Comment