Monday, July 21, 2008

Superhero movies

Ross Douthat complained a while back about the plethora of superhero movies. I saw the trailer for Watchmen finally. Never having been a fan of the comic book/graphic novel, I didn't find the movie to be that 'compelling.' Even my enthusiasm for The Dark Knight has been dampened a bit; reading the spoilers didn't help, but I haven't been eager to watch most movies for a while. Rather than for film appreciation, I go to the movie theater for the sake of escape, though The Dark Knight should be better than most superhero movies.

Part of it also has to do with the fact that superheroes don't really have much relevance to the real world. They may inspire children to be warriors and to acquire the virtues of a warrior, but what can warriors do to prevent the growth of empire, when they constitute a vital part of empire-building?

People will watch a superhero movie, leave the theater, and return to supporting the status quo.

Brideshead Revisited is coming out this Friday as well... I will wait for the Catholic film critics to write their reviews for the movie, but I don't expect much, given all of the negative publicity it has received at Catholic blogs.

Watchmen trailer @ Apple


Vicky Cristina Barcelona: So watching a bunch of neurotic, irrational, and immature people is supposed to be entertaining?

official site; Yahoo! Movies
Time: Cannes: Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona and Woody - TIME (A sample of what passes for pop intelligentsia. Rationalizations for adultery and fornication in the name of love.)


CANNES, FRANCE - MAY 17: Actresses Penelope Cruz and Rebecca Hall arrive at the premiere for the film 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' at the Palais des Festivals during the 61st International Cannes Film Festival on May 17 , 2008 in Cannes, France.

CANNES, FRANCE - MAY 17: Director Woody Allen and actress Penelope Cruz attend the photocall for the film 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' at the Palais des Festivals during the 61st International Cannes Film Festival on May 17 , 2008 in Cannes, France.

Spanish actress Penelope Cruz, American director Woody Allen and British actress Rebecca Hall pose at the photo call for the film "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" during the 61st International film festival in Cannes, southern France, Saturday, May 17, 2008.

No comments: