Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lost in Austen: fanfiction it may be, but is it an exaggeration to say that it embodies everything that moderns get wrong about Austen? Her stories are just fairy-tale dreams of having a nice house, nice clothes, lots of leisure and money, plus a little romance thrown in. There's no awareness of the moral attitudes that are the foundation of Regency manners, and how they inform conduct between members of the two sexes. I don't think I'll waste any more of my life watching it in order to get confirmation. I can't even imagine what MacIntyre's reaction would be.

(The background music, matching the set up as a fish-out-of-water comedy, does get on my nerves, too.)

Edit. Perhaps Amanda Price will learn a valuable lesson at the end that justifies the first 3 episodes (e.g., that a 21st century woman does not fit into Regency England, despite her desires for ritual and courtship, or that one should not meddle in the affairs of others and play God, even if one has God-like knowledge of their lives). But I'm not holding my breath.

Gemma Arterton Online; some photos of the cast here.

No comments: