
Available at Hulu: Metropolitan
Ha! Poor Tom: "Of course I save all the personal letters I get. Don't you?"
And there's that classic line from Fred: "I wonder if we were really friends with them [the "debs"], or just way stations between dates. I mean, for them men are either dates, or potential dates, or date substitutes. I find that dehumanizing."
I was trying to remember where I had heard that thought expressed.
And then Charlie goes on to defend and praise his crush Audrey, separating her from the rest...
"Audrey is completely different. She is someone who would keep up her friendships no matter what. Audrey has a rare largeness of mind. She's not obsessed with her love life. She's good-looking, smart, charming, principled... it's an unusual combination."
An aspiring Austen heroine? What would Austen think of the mixing of the sexes depicted in the movie?
It was nice to be able to chat with PCPL last night. Charlie's description of Audrey could probably be applied to her. Laang nui!
Related links:
The Criterion Collection: Metropolitan by Whit Stillman
Whit Stillman's unofficial website
Confessions of a serial drifter | Film | The Guardian
Interview: Whit Stillman on "Metropolitan" | Film News | Film ...
Catching up with Whit Stillman | PopWatch Blog | EW.com
BBC - Film Network - Whit Stillman Remembers Metropolitan
Anti-Populism and Indie Antiquity: Interview with Whit Stillman ...
Whit Stillman's Metropolitan. - By Austin Kelley - Slate Magazine
Hulu's Next Big Score: Whit Stillman's METROPOLITAN
Whit Stillman | The A.V. Club
Comment - Whit Stillman: Barcelona Vs. Metropolitan
No comments:
Post a Comment