Chet Richards, Latest U-Boat Threat
The use of disposable sumersibles to transport cocaine from Columbia to the United States--how seaworthy are these vessels? Apparently they can go rather deep in the water. I suppose using the US Navy and Coast Guard to interdict these vessels would be fruitless. Apparently they avoid detection rather easily. If we think that the Federal "War against Drugs" should be ended, or at least modified, what do we do about the supply of illegal narcotics into the country? Does the US military have a legitimate role to play in protecting the countries border's? Or should we rely exclusively on state and local authorities to make arrests and put the drug pushers away?
I can see an argument being made to put drug abusers in some sort of servitude until they demonstrate self-rule.
And William Lind's latest: On War #302: Blinders.
Related links:
Sub with cocaine seized off Costa Rica - Americas- msnbc.com
This story is from 2006 -- I think I may have read it before, so this is not really "news" -- it's been happening a while...
2000: BBC News AMERICAS Drug submarine found in Colombia
2007: FOXNews.com - Submarine Carrying 5 Tons of Cocaine Seized off Guatamala
2008: Cocaine smugglers turn to submarines, feds say - CNN.com
Submarine full of cocaine captured in Mexico - Telegraph
Pictured: The home-made submarines used to smuggle cocaine
How Cocaine Submarines Work - The Blogs at HowStuffWorks
Newsmax.com - Cartels Use Submarines to Move Cocaine to U.S.
No comments:
Post a Comment