Mr. Worstall writes:
I’m not one of those who think that the carnal pleasures must be restricted to after the marriage ceremony...Not so puzzling, given where this was published. It is Taki's Magazine, and open to diverse viewpoints (and not everyone there endorses Christian teachings on sexual morality, either in word or in practice).
But I’m willing to bet that those who are would agree that you’re not fully adult until you have indulged in them, marriage or not. A virgin, of either sex, hasn’t fully understood the driving forces of life.This however is puzzling. This may be true of those who are frigid or have some phobia of sex. (Which is probably rare among men.) But what adult male hasn't experienced sexual desire? And women too experience sexual desire, but probably in a different way, a way proper to women (and their reproductive role). I'm not referring to the inordinate desire for an orgasm, which can be intensified through self-stimulation. I mean just a healthy sex drive. It seems to me that it is only by understanding the driving force of life (in part, along with restraint), that one is able to be sexually continent or celibate.
Perhaps he means that men are not really adults until they've had sex with women, and vice versa. But I would deny this as well. Understanding the sexual drive and the complimentarity of the sexes, and how these affect male-female dynamics and relationships would suffice, I think. There is more to maturity than having certain experiences. It is the wisdom that matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment