



I've been enjoying Wives and Daughters and Justine Waddell's performance as Molly Gibson the past few days. I've never seen all of it before, even though it was an 'instant favorite' when I first saw part of it on Masterpiece Theater. I think it was first aired in 1999, and it was during Lent or Holy Week, and I was at Christendom at that time. The TV room at the school wasn't that great, and it was usually occupied. Sarge, Pete Takeshi, CC, and I did get a chance to watch a part of it while we were in Scranton for the Triduum, staying at a priest's residence. (That was the year we attended the liturgies in Shohola, with the now-infamous Society of St. John. (Apparently their website is no longer being maintained. Neither is the website for the College of St. Justin Martyr.) Lot of memories about that trip, but I'll save that for another post in the future, if I do write about it.
One of these days I'll read the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell.
I wanted to find a photo of Roger Hamley's hat, but no luck so far. It's a great-looking hat. You can see it in some of the fan-made videos, though.
Look After You - Wives and Daughters - A Molly and Roger music video - The Fray
You can see the hat at 2:08 and 3:25.
I have to admit that I prefer the vest and the longer coat -- I think it's much better than the modern coat...
Another Wives and Daughters fashion site.
Iain Glen page.
A blog dedicated to Justine Waddell. (It hasn't been updated in a while.) I should re-watch Great Expectations (which also stars Ioan Gruffudd).

I haven't seen her version of Tess of the D'urbervilles. (Done in 1998, not the 2008 one.)
Does she have a South African accent in real life? 2 photos here, in the Life archive.

Anthony Howell plays Roger Hamley.
German fansite; another fansite
Masterpiece Theatre Foyle's War Who is Christopher Foyle?
He looks somewhat different in Foyle's War.
Some more fan vids:
Wives and Daughters
Wives and Daughters - Roger and Molly
Wives and Daughters, Molly and Roger
And some love advice from the adaptation: Take the Squire's Advice
No comments:
Post a Comment