Thursday, April 30, 2009

Peter Hitchens on being a gun nut.

Regarding patriotism, he writes:
One contributor asks why I don't go to live in the USA, since I like it so much. Why should I? This is my country, where my ancestors are buried and where I hope and intend to be buried myself, where I grew up, whose landscape, climate, music, poetry and architecture are in my bones, whose battle-honours are my battle-honours and whose history is my history. Nowhere else is like it. It is precisely because I know and like so many other countries that I know and love my own best of all. Given the way things are going, I don't completely rule out the possibility of becoming an exile, but that will not be because I want to be. It never is.
Now does he consider himself British? Or does he, like Joseph Pearce, reject that 'national' identity, and think of himself as English? (The latter being a proper ethnos or people.) I think he's referred to himself as being British before.

Read his reflections on America.

No comments: