Rod Dreher: WaPo: Ron Paul approved racist newsletters
Someone else I know has said that if the allegations about Ron Paul are true, then it is worse than mere racism; it is racism as opportunism. I have not read the newsletters in question; I've only seen snippets here and there and they seem more politically incorrect than "racist," with content or a focus that might approach what you would find in a white nationalist publication (crime committed by members of minorities, etc.). Can valid generalizations be made at all? Will there be any honest discussion of these sort of issues? This sort of chiding by Mr. Dreher is evidence why some readers believe they have cause to worry about the direction of The American Conservative. Should AmCon become a white nationalist magazine? I don't think that is likely and I still believe that white nationalism as a political program cannot be reconciled with traditional conservatism, if we believe assimilation is the goal - it violates the precepts of charity and justice. I do not think that having a preference for a member of the same race is part of the ordo caritatis, and it is detrimental to the well-being of a community - that we are members of the same political community is of greater import. To prefer someone merely because he is of the same race would vitiate the shared understanding that we are one community, one people. I would say the same of any other ethnic nationalism. There is some sort of natural affection towards one's own, but race is a rather weak constituent of identity and only comes into play when one perceives division along racial lines. But common opposition alone doesn't create solidarity or trust.
Of course, one rejoinder would be that "one community, on people" is not really true at any level in California.
What should be the response to members of other ethnic/racial groups promoting ethnic nationalism in the U.S.?
No comments:
Post a Comment