Friday, May 19, 2006

Hong Kong Police

I like the sound of it better when there was a "Royal" before it... The English homepage. 'Organisation structure.'

They changed their uniform last year. As one of my uncles said, "They can't differentiate themselves from normal security guards." And he was right--security guards in Hong Kong typically wear the same sort of jackets.
(More photos of the new uniform here.)

The older uniforms were borrowed from the British, and I think they look better. (Summer and Winter) I can't say much for the models, but that probably means they're real police constables. (More of the OSPU.)

I suppose if I were living in Hong Kong and not working as a teacher, I would try to get a job in civil service or with the police. Working in business isn't my thing, and I would prefer not to work in a mom-and-pop shop or store. I don't think I'd be able to farm in one of the outlying villages in the New Territories--seems like one has to be born into one of the families there.

No news as to when PTU 2 might start filming; Johnnie To's most recent film, Election 2 was released earlier this year, but is not available on DVD yet. Will PTU 2 take place over the course of one night, or will it cover a longer time period? I hope all of the cast will be back for the sequel.
PTU stands for Police Tactical Unit--their normal everyday function is to patrol the streets in high-risk areas. (Hrm, like where there is a lot of gang activity?)

Press release on the SDU, which is the SWAT unit for the Hong Kong Police. There were a couple of movies made recently about SDU, most featuring Michael Wong. The first one, The Final Option was probably the best; I saw two of the sequels and the quality wasn't so good. Michael Wong went on to make a series of SDU movies after that--they looked like made-for-TV productions, at least from the covers.

(the Mainland Chinese police recently updated their uniforms as well, though some have asserted that they stole their uniform designs from South Korea--I'll post some pictures when I get a chance)

No comments: