in The Lake House. No idea if his acting skills have improved. I can't think of the last American romantic drama/comedy that was both done well and a box office hit. I just saw a commercial for the movie; it's not getting that much publicity. (Apple)
Keanu Reeves is also in A Scanner Darkly, an adaptation of a Philip K. Dick work. The plot premise is a bit convoluted, but I won't spoil it for now. Winona Ryder is also in the movie, but I think her appearance will be transformed, like everyone else's. (See the trailer.)
But enough of American movies...
1 comment:
I'm kind of looking forward to Scanner, even though PKD adaptations don't do so well -- Screamers, Minority Report, Paycheck, Impostor, and Total Recall. Blade Runner was an excellent movie, but it's pretty loosely based on the novella -- mood organs and Mercerism are gone, Deckard isn't a dumpy middle-aged bounty hunter, and the question of identity is toned down. (but it's certainly a hit in Ridley Scott's hit or miss oeveure.)
My favorite part of the story, an entire police station staffed with replicants who think they're cops, is nowhere to be seen. I'd love to see a remake that cuts closer to the source material with the old Harrison Ford...
Post a Comment