The term "Ratio Studiorum" is commonly used to designate the educational system of the Jesuits; it is an abbreviation of the official title, "Ratio atque Institutio Studiorum Societatis Jesu", i.e. "Method and System of the Studies of the Society of Jesus".Drawn up when Claudius Acquaviva was the superior general of the Society of Jesus, the Ratio atque Institutio Studiorum Societatis Jesu is the handbook on education for the Jesuits, drawing upon both the traditions of the Catholic universities, especially the University of Paris, and those of Renaissance humanism. It was modified in the last century, to bring the course of studies 'up-to-date'; I have not looked at the changes, but I suspect that they were vague and not improvements. (Involving a devaluation of philosophy, and a failure to recognize how human reason attains knowledge?) I have a copy of the edition put out by the Institute of Jesuit Sources; I think it's the bilingual Latin-English critical edition. Another book I should read...
BC's The Ratio Studiorum of 1599
Translation by Allan P. Farrell, S.J.: pdf, html
Saint Louis University's Pedagogica site
Juan Luis Vives, a Renaissance humanist and friend of Erasmus, was also an educational theorist. U. of Illinois Press bio. I think I came upon his book on education once at the Christendom library--it would be nice to read through it again.
1 comment:
I'm not coming home on Wednesday. Probably Friday or Saturday. Hope you guys are well.
Post a Comment