Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Ugh remakes!

Just watched the trailer for The Lake House, and realized it's the remake of Il Mare. So undoubtedly it will be crap--no careful restraint of emotions. Sandra Bullock's voiceover for the trailer was horrible, and Keanu Reeve's acting was boring. I'll take Jeon Jihyun and Lee Jung Jae over these two any day. Besides, I can accept Jeon Jihyun acting like a naive girl who doesn't know much about life or love, because she's young and so is the character. But a 30-something woman who is still acting and feeling like a teenager? Typical American adultlescence, perfectly suited for the majority of the older people watching the movie, but a poor example for the teenagers and the college women. Maybe Miss Bullock will act more mature, but the dialogue in the trailer makes me think that is not what the movie will be like. And of course, they had to jazz the movie up to emphasize certain elements of the plot--since it's clear in the trailer what I'm talking about, I'll go ahead and mention it. The two characters are corresponding to each other, but are separated in time, 2 years. Hence, any changes introduced by the character in the past spontaneously manifest themselves in the future, and are actually witnessed by other people. Just like what happened in the movie Frequency with Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel--as if a ripple effect across time has any plausibility. (I hope no physicist is going to try to describe how it is possible through math.) Dramatic special effects for "dumb Americans" who can't handle something more subtle.

My advice: watch the original, and even better, try to learn Korean.

No comments: