2-hour season finale tonight; no word if it's been renewed for next season.
Q: Do you feel pretty confidant The Unit is coming back in the Fall?
Ryan: Yeah. I mean obviously the show's done well ratings wise for them. I've had a lot of conversations with CBS. David and I are already working on stories for what it would be [in season 2]. But they have to make official announcements when they make official announcements. But we're proceeding as if we're very
very optimistic that they'll be a second season.
The quality of the episodes has generally been good, though some are definitely better than others. Sarge complains that too much time is spent on the wives; I could see the Housewives' fund being lost when it was first suggested--a great way to create drama between the wives. The con of Mrs. Blane was a bit predictable. Dennis Haysbert still looks a bit clunky as an operator. Last weeks episode, featuring a flashback with Col. Ryan in the field was nice; Robert Patrick is still in good shape, but I'm surprised to see that the commanding officer was recruited from within CAG. Perhaps this is normal procedure--it would certainly make sense.
Q: Can you talk about what the second season might be like and if there might be a lot of new faces on the show?
Ryan: I don't know if I'd say a lot of new faces. Maybe a new face or two. But I think we like a lot of faces that we have right now, and still have plenty of stories to tell about them. Obviously the season finale is a bit of a cliffhanger. But David was the driving force behind really talking about the idea of not just resetting ourselves back to zero at the end of each episode and finding ourselves in the same place. And we sort of use the finale… Remember, when we made it, we didn't know how the show would do. So we wanted an ending that would play as a really interesting ending to the season if we never made any more episodes, but which would launch us into some new areas if we did get a second season. So what I would say is, more than
new faces and new characters, I think what the ending of that show will provide us is new situations and new dynamics to play between our characters in a possible second season.Mamet: One of the places we wanted to go next year is to the world of what these guys put up with in Washington.
Q: Washington, as in more officials?
Mamet: Well, perhaps. And perhaps the question will be whether
they'll officials or they're not. But there's a whole other side to the equation. We talked a lot in the first year, though we didn't use it, about the tension between the Special Forces community and the Pentagon; the executive branch. And maybe we'll start investigating that a little bit.
It would definitely be nice if they could bring more CQB action in... maybe more episodes dealing with counter-terrorism. (As long as it doesn't lapse into JAG nonsense, which I doubt will happen, because of Eric Haney.)
American Idol is also on tonight, though I don't really keep up with the show, since I don't like the music. Katherine McPhee seems cute on a black and white tv. I suppose out of the finalists Becky O'Donohoe is the prettiest. (She has a twin sister.) I bet she will be looking for a job in acting or modelling. Is Ayla Brown still going to BC in the Fall?
I haven't watched much of House this year...
Invasion might not be back next season. I suppose I'll have to see the season finale; will the rest of the town be duplicated? Or will the sheriff and the ex-park ranger be able to stop this from happening? It's based on the novel(?) that inspired Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
No comments:
Post a Comment