can be rather depressing. I usually try to avoid travelling at certain times of the day, i.e. when students are getting out of school, because they can be loud and obnoxious on the bus. Evidently someone failed to teach them to use their quiet voices out of consideration for others. But, since I had a 2:00 appointment over at BU I didn't have much of a choice.
While I was nodding off, a lady come upon the bus, and she started making comments to an African-American woman sitting across from her. I'm not sure what she said exactly, but evidently she had been a teacher, and was involved in Headstart. She was talking about African Americans having children out of wedlock? I think that's when I first noticed her talking. She proceeded to talk about crime, single-parent families, promiscuity, and the like. No one was really paying attention to her; I felt uncomfortable and tried to go back to my nap, I don't know what the reaction of the others was. The African-American woman was definitely not looking at her. Then she was talking about how "we were idealists and dreamers" who thought they could change the world through teaching, but then she was assaulted while taking public transportation (the bus? the T?) home from Roxbury. She complained to a T supervisor but she thought the supervisor was not taking her seriously but instead saw her as the problem. Now I don't know if she was in this same sort of mental state when she was explaining what had happened, or if she became mentally unbalanced after the incident. The latter would not be surprising. She left the bus saying something (how disappointed she was by how things had turned out in her life?); not a happy woman.
No comments:
Post a Comment