Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Wilhelm Roepke and the Austrian school

John Zmirak (vdare) apparently thinks highly of Wilhelm Roepke--that I suppose is what one will get from his book, Wilhelm Ropke: Swiss Localist, Global Economist. How Roepke differs from the other members of the Austrian school I do not know. One of Roepke's books is in print, A Humane Economy -- published by ISI books, no surprise there. Eventually I'll get around to reading it but my guess is that it will be wanting. While ISI has some good speakers associated with it, and some of the books they publish are worth reading, it's probably a good thing that I am not so closely associated with it, nothing beyond being a student member. There's just too much divergence in our foundational principles regarding politics and economics.

Some info on Ropke (from the Von Mises Institute)
Biography of Wilhelm Roepke
How Different Were Roepke and Mises?

An article with some excerpts from Roepke on mass culture:
"Wilhelm Roepke's Wisdom: On modern mass culture"
(compare with Jose Ortega y Gassett)

I suppose I'll have to stick to Heinrich Pesch and Wilhelm Emmanuel von Kettler. Unfortunately, not much of Bishop von Kettler's writings are available in English.

Through Chronicles I came upon a reference to Hans-Hermann Hoppe. Hoppe is another member of the Austrian school. His article, "Secession, the State, and the Immigration Problem." His LewRockwell website. His discussion of his book, Democracy: The God that Failed. (I had come across this book before, but I had not done any further research on its author at the time.)

I also found this: Court Life in China: The Capital - Its Officials and People by Isaac Taylor Headland

No comments: