Sunday, August 17, 2008

Patrick Ford and The Northern Agrarian

From the Western Confucian:

Patrick J. Ford, whom you may know from The American Conservative's blog, has started a new blog of his own that I think readers of this one will enjoy — The Northern Agrarian. He promises "to comment on current issues from an Old Right, America-First, anti-modernity agrarian point of view."
I enjoyed his post on the IPhone when it was first put up on @TAC. He explains the name and purpose of his blog: What’s in a Name?

Southern Agrarians, the most accurate doom-sayers in recent intellectual history, are the lovable losers of the Old Right. Whereas Old Right libertarians have found a voice in modern paleolibertarian outlets like LRC, laissez-faire liberals have found a voice in the modern push for globalism and “free trade,” and pro-business, anti-union deregulators have significant influence in the highest levels of government, the Southern Agrarians have been left behind. Indeed, the decline of the southern agrarian, anti-modernity mindset can be tracked in near-direct proportion to the rise of “progress,” a term that has now come to embody modern political and societal degradation. Any previously standing in the way of this tidal wave of innovation were swept aside easily, long since forgotten.

My name is Patrick J. Ford, and I am launching this blog for a few reasons. For one, I currently blog at The GW Patriot (where I am Editor in Chief) as well as at @TAC, The American Conservative’s blog, but neither is an appropriate forum for me to freely discuss and comment on issues of interest to me. I also believe it to be worthwhile to comment on current issues from an Old Right, America-First, anti-modernity agrarian point of view. Alas, I was born in Philadelphia and grew up in the northeast, so a southerner I am not. But despite its name, southern agrarianism is certainly not limited by geography.

No comments: