Monday, August 18, 2008

Women hurting themselves

Last year I had occasion to try one of the online dating services. This site had a marked disparity similar to that on college campuses: More women than men (on the order of many multiples) are registered users in my local area; while men are far more active in messaging women for e-mail chats and dating opportunities.

I went on a number of dates and was appalled at the number of women who outright suggested sex on the first date. So puzzled in fact, that I inquired fairly overtly as to WTH was going on. Though successful and in a good place in life, I know I'm not in any realm in terms of looks or money where this should happen. More than one of the women outright conceded that with so much "competition" from other women on the site, they felt the need to "distinguish" themselves, or as one woman (a successful professional) put it, "to show" me what she "was all about in that area guys care about."

Needless to say, when I told them I'd rather get to know them and that sex could be for later, they were visibly and noticeably relieved. It did not stop me from wondering how many guys they had slept with on first dates, however, and ultimately left me uninterested.

I can see why men looking for quick sex go with these sites, but I feel that when women are made to feel (including by each other and by men) as if they need to compete on a sexual level because of the sheer number of competitors, it diminishes them substantially as women and as potential "marriage" material.

From the comments section to this post by Dr. Helen. Then you hear the horror stories about what teenagers and college students are willing to do in order to get the affection of a male. Sarge was telling me about the prophecies associated with Our Lady of Good Success. Looking at the consequences of the war between the sexes, whom can we blame besides the devil?

Maybe the next generation isn't completely lost:
Wendy Shalit: The Good Girl Revolution: Young Rebels with Self-Esteem and High Standards
(blog)

"Pemberley Bonds" - Elizabeth Bennet & Georgiana Darcy


Elizabeth Bennet / Mr. Darcy - Suddenly I See


People always suggest that Dr. Laura should start an online dating site, but who would want to deal with the liability (legal or moral?).

Because of the dating pool and religious compatibility, can Catholics go anywhere besides Catholic Match or Ave Maria or St. Raphael Singles? What's the story behind Catholic Cupid or Catholic Singles? Now, perhaps the service doesn't screen members, and members are supposed to be selective as to the degree of 'orthodoxy' they are looking for in a potential spouse. I know certain sites offer a questionnaire/checklist on things like abortion and artificial contraception, so people know what other members' views are before deciding whether to initiate contact or not. A Google search also reveals CatholicPeople.com, Catholics Singles Mingle, Single Catholics, Catholic Daters. For California: Catholic Singles Network. The names of some of these sites just sound like people trying to cash in on the largest Christian 'denomination' in the United States.

Ave Maria Singles Online Magazine for Catholic Singles

(Hm! There's a MSN group for traditionalist singles, but it is open to sedevecantists as well...)

No comments: