Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Ward Method

If I were to teach at the primary level, I would try to bring in someone to teach the Ward method to the students. I don't have any competence to teach the children how to sing, though I would encourage them. It would be much better than having them read social studies textbooks. The Ward method was employed at the seminary to teach beginners how to sing, and it was rather effective, even for those who were tone-deaf. Paulus had a good bass voice but didn't know how to sing before he came to the seminary; he was making very good progress in the class, but he left the seminary after the first year. Has he sung since? Haha. I would think that the Ward method is still used at OLGS.

The Church Music Association of America has a very good resources page.

MusicaSacra » Ward Method Contacts
CUA Office of Summer Sessions
An Interview with Gisbert Brandt
Ward Center of San Antonio
Ward method
The Catholic University of America - CUA Press
Gregorian Chant Schola at St. Peters
Abbey of Regina Laudis - Master Class (catalog)
Sacred Music for the New Millenium

Justine Ward
wiki

Ward Centrum homepage

No comments: