Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cosmos-Liturgy-Sex: Do Thomists Make Bad Liturgists?

I think the question is whether Thomas reduces the Church's liturgy to the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist. I do not think he does, but as far as I know, he does not treat of the liturgy itself, either. (That is, he does not have a theology of the liturgy that can be pieced together.

I don't know if Dr. Hemming treats of liturgical theology (which is not the same as theology of the liturgy) in his book, but Dr. Reid's review indicates that Dr. Hemming does regard the liturgy as a source of the practice of theology. That is to say, one cannot do theology without being well-grounded in the Christian spiritual life, and the liturgy holds a central place in Christian spirituality. Certainly, many of the Dominicans I have met recognize this.

Just as Aquinas respected the Church Fathers, I think there is room within "Thomism" as a theological tradition to recognize that the Church's liturgy is a part of Sacred Tradition and thereby incorporate it as a theological source, using the insights of insights of theologians like Fr. Louis Bouyer and Fr. Alexander Schmemann in this regard. And a fuller account of the liturgy remains to be written from a Thomistic perspective.

No comments: