Friday, September 01, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

Which means that this week is "Moving In/Out Week" here in Boston, as students, young professionals, and others move into and out of apartments all over the city. One will find on the major roads all sort of rental vehicles, especially U-Hauls and vans, with the occasional family station wagon or SUV filled with items.

When I see students and parents walking around BC, all I can think is "suckers." Really. I wouldn't pay the money a BC [undergraduate] education requires, because I've seen the results. It's a sad statement about the state of the economic system when university education has become so degraded, and yet it is increasingly becoming less and less an option and more and more a necessity for those who wish to get a job that will enable them to support a family within a certain environment. Perhaps I should have more pity, but most of that has been used up during my stay here. Sad, sad.

Still, at least BC provides official transcripts for free; and one can get a new ID card, so long as one has the most recent one to exchange for it. At Cal, one would have to pay for both (I'm fairly sure a replacement ID at Cal would cost money.)

I didn't bring headphones to the CTRC today... gotta remember to do so next time.

Crank is opening this weekend, another Jason Statham action movie. Hopefully it will be better than The Transporter 2.

I might enjoy seeing The Wicker Man, not for Nicholas Cage, but for Lee Lee Sobieski. She was on Jay Leno this weekend. Although she has an accent (New York, I think?), it didn't bother me at all--she is just gorgeous. (Although her face looked thinner...) The New Scot and I were talking about her during the drive over to Marlboro, and how she resembles Jewel. "The Nordic look" that he likes. He also thought they were similar to Julia Stiles, but I'm not so sure about that. Though she looked good in the Jason Bourne movies, being attired appropriately as a member of a certain class. (i.e. not being ghetto)

A still from the movie:

larger version
The homesteading look, but she looks a bit like a psycho killer here too.



More photos here and here.

No comments: