Thursday, November 23, 2006

Mark Whittaker, Head for the hills - the new survivalists

Head for the hills - the new survivalists

by Mark Whittaker

So what do you do when you're pretty sure that the end of the world as we know it is coming soon, but your girlfriend doesn't believe you? Sure, she might nod her head when you confront her with some of the gloomier facts, but then she shrugs and goes back to her pursuit of modern pleasures. She doesn't like it when you talk about it to other people, either. No one likes being told their hopes and dreams are about to turn to dust.


Yes, so what do you do?

3 comments:

Seraphic Single said...

Well, I would stock up on non-perishables that are easily portable, and I would either work out my own personal survival plan, or I would work out how to walk back to my parents' home, following the Loyalists' routes through New York state. If I had the money and time, I would buy a piece of arable land and build a winterized cabin on it. I would buy bags of seed and a toolchest, a dog and a rifle. Oh, and I would find a non-electric sewing machine and a working Underwood typewriter, for which I would buy lots of ribbon.

Incidentally, at Thanksgiving Dinner when my prof's wife was wondering if future generations would also move across the world from home, I said cheap travel will end as soon as we run out of cheap oil. So I did do my best spreading the gloom!

What on earth will happen if 300 million Americans head for the hills? But they won't. I bet you most sit right where they are waiting for the government to rescue them, as so many poor people had to do in New Orleans

Seraphic Single said...

Or maybe I'd go into a monastary, ASAP.

Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

I "spread the gloom" as much as I can to my freshman students over here in Korea.

They are so optimistic because their cell phones are getting smaller and have many more many functions. They need a reality check.