Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Monastic Communities of Jerusalem

I think I met a nun from this group before, but I can't recall where... was it in Rome? Or at St. John's Seminary?

The Parent Community in Paris
in Montreal (links)

Transfiguration Community blog; their neo-monasticism links

Liturgy of Jerusalem
The MCJ belong to the Catholic church and celebrate according to the latin
rite, but they revive the sources of the Church of the first centuries' liturgy
by integrating in their services some elements of the Eastern Tradition
such as: gestures, songs, icons, incense, etc.

The orans position used to be part of the Roman tradition, I believe. Icons and incense I have no problem with, or even a Eastern thurible with bells (although this might be contrary to the rather subdued spirit of the Roman rite)... but what sort of songs do they borrow? Nonetheless, it's very interesting that some of the newer monastic movements have gone in this direction, although it does not seem to me that it will ever happen in the dioceses of the Roman rite. They have added icons, but I don't see much evidence of them altering the interior architecture of their chapels.

Their music sounds very... Russian--like Russian liturgical music from the 18th and 19th centuries--probably because of the choral style...

No comments: