Friday, July 06, 2007

8 more things

I got back to Boston this morning. The flight was delayed by about an hour, because they had to change a tire on the plane while it was at LAX. I was able to get a row to myself, so on the plane I slept lying down for the first time.

Pete Takeshi tagged me back. 8 more things:

1. I rarely drink coffee, and have avoided drinking it until the last couple of days. Mrs. Lee made some coffee for me both on Thursday and Friday -- it didn't taste like "normal" coffee, but was a mix of French, Hawaiian, Carribean coffees and tasted "like a mocha," so I actually enjoyed it. (Hrm... I haven't had Thai iced tea for a while...)

2. I use laang nui [pretty woman] as a term of endearment for certain friends, and would like to use it for my wife, if I do get married.

3. Though I think it would be praiseworthy for all Americans to use "sir" and "ma'am," I still feel awkward saying them, and generally don't do it. It's just not a part of Californian culture, unfortunately. (I think it would be great to marry a genuine Southern belle though.)

4. I know a little bit of Mandarin -- but I don't like the sound of the language, especially the Taiwanese version. Do I like the strong northern accent? It's ok, but still a bit too harsh on my ears... I don't like to speak in foreign languages, especially with older people--that bit of shyness hasn't been overcome yet.

5. I don't feel the need to rush while I'm on the freeway much these days--part of it is out of a concern for fuel mileage, part of it is due to increased ticketing by the CHP. Nonetheless, I'm mellowing a bit as a driver--probably because of age. I still don't like bad drivers and the slowpokes who refuse to shift over to the right lane.

6. When I get nervous, it becomes difficult for me to find things to talk about, and then I lose concentration. Recently I have been going on auto-pilot when someone is talking to me (especially on the phone), and I become disengaged from the conversation, but I am working on this.

7. I used to play the piano, bu I haven't touched a keyboard for a very long time. I wonder if Sting gives lute lessons. haha.

8. Two compulsions: making sure the door is locked and the stoves are turned off. If I am in doubt as to whether I have done this, I will turn around and go back to the house. Sometimes, repeatedly, because for some reason I can't remember doing it the first (or second) time.

No comments: