Sunday, November 04, 2007

St. Thomas Aquinas Church in Palo Alto

St. Thomas Aquinas Church in Palo Alto

An appropriate church to visit regularly in the future?

Today I went to the 12:00 Mass, which is special because it features the St. Ann Choir singing polyphony and Gregorian chant. (The website for the choir was down when I checked this morning.) As for the liturgy, it was very much like sung Mass at Christendom (ordinary form for both places). The choir was pretty good, probably better than the choir at Christendom. The women of the choir also sang the Gregorian chant--there isn't a separate schola devoted to chant, like there is at Christendom. Most of the faithful there were seniors, though there were some in their 30s and 40s, and perhaps two couples who were even younger. Stanford University is currently in session, so I am thinking not many Catholic students attend this Mass. (Where do the students associated with Opus Dei in Palo Alto go on Sundays?)

So where is one to find a right-believing single Catholic female who is attached to the liturgical tradition of the Roman Rite here in the Bay Area? Oakland? Sacramento? Sarge, you may be out of luck in California. If you do visit, I may bring you here. Or I may inflict the Byzantine rite upon you. Though perhaps you would be interested in attending the 5:30 High Mass at the Oratory of Our Mother of Perpetual Help.

[Hrm... supposedly there is a ikon chapel at St. Patrick's Seminary now. (Mention of it at the website for St. Elias.)]

The priest needs a little bit more practice. He isn't one of the priests assigned to the parish, so I don't know where he is from.

Professor Mahrt is supposed to be giving a talk on November 18, I think it is on the differences between the extraordinary use and the ordinary use, but I'm not sure. (The lector mentioned "Gregorian" Mass and ----- Mass.) Professor Mahrt wasn't directing the choir today; I don't know how often he is there. It would be nice to meet him in person, but that Sunday I should be down in SLO for a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner.

I think I prefer the sung liturgy here over low Mass at the oratory and over the Sunday liturgies at Our Lady of Peace. (Too bad they haven't introduced more Latin or chant at OLP.) But it is a bit far... a good place to go though if one is planning on visiting Palo Alto (or eating in downtown Palo Alto) afterwards.

Stanford Magazine > March/April 2003 > Showcase > Noteworthy
The New Liturgical Movement: William Mahrt and Gregorian Chant
letter on sacred music
Champion of chant: Musicologist makes an ancient tradition a local ...
An idea whose time has come ... again: Mahrt guides Gregorian ...
MusicaSacra » Summorum Pontificum: The Musical Consideration
Early Music Singers - William Mahrt, director
Early Music Singers – William Mahrt, director

William Byrd Festival

image of St. Cecilia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

saw some pic's of their "regular" liturgy. Typical innovations you would find anywhere else. However, their Good Friday liturgy was bizarre