Thursday, August 14, 2008

Carmelite Hermitage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

I believe MW and Fr. Daniel Mary and used to members of this community in Minnesota; they then left to found the new community, the Carmelite Monks of Wyoming. A photo from the latter:

Their website has been updated with a lot more pictures. Plus there is this explanation of their tonsure. Mystic Monk Coffee is still up and running.

The Carmelites in Minnesota have been approved as a community of Mt. Carmel (O. Carm., not OCD. Did this factor in the decision of them to leave? I know they were devoted to St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Avila). I don't know where the Wyoming Carmelites are in the process of being recognized.

While I am a fan of many of the Carmelite saints (especially all of the Teresas) and my mother seems to really appreciate them, I wouldn't consider myself as having a "Carmelite" spirituality. (I identified more with a Jesuit spirituality at one time, and a Benedictine one later.)

From Elijah Carmelite Book Service (icon by Arlene Tilighman):

Carmelite spirituality and the practice of mental prayer
Our Garden of Carmel
Discalced Carmelites: Charism and Spirituality
Carmelite Spirituality (from Salvation History)
Fr. Aumann, O.P. on St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross
Jordan Aumann OP: Ascetical Teaching of St. John of the Cross
Carmelite Spirituality
Lectio Divina and the Practice of Teresian Prayer, ICS
more links
Therese 2002 - The Carmelite Spirituality of St Therese
The Fundamental Elements of Carmelite Spirituality | Carmelites 2040
ICS Publications

More mention of the Lake Elmo Community:
Carmelite Hermit Communities
THE CARMELITE WEB SITE - O.Carm.

O. Carm. (Calced):
The Carmelite Web Site
Blessed Titus Brandsma, O.Carm.

OCD (Discalced):
Web oficial de la Casa General de los Carmelitas Descalzos, OCD
Welcome to Boston Carmel Monastery of Our Lady and St. Joseph
Byzantine Discalced Carmelites
Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Arlington, Texas
Mt. St. Joseph Carmelite Monastery (San Jose, CA)

No comments: