If Hawkeye in Last of the Mohicans is an alpha, is Major Duncan Heyward a beta? Not really. But Hawkeye is definitely more alpha than he. I've been reading too much about alphas and betas. A more "traditional" understanding of the male virtues would probably be sufficient in analyzing Hawkeye and Duncan. Is Hawkeye too much of the rugged individualist, disdainful of authority? The prototypical "American"?
He does not see himself as being subject to any authority, except perhaps that of his adopted father. I don't think he is an individualist; his tribe is just too small (and is decreased by one with the death of his adopted brother at the end of the movie).
Someday... I will read the original novel and the Leather-Stocking Tales. How many American school children today read those stories?
Art of Manliness: Command a Room Like a Man A Man’s Guide to Summer Dress: Part 1 by
No comments:
Post a Comment